Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member
The Biosciences and Biotechnology Division (BBTD) of the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has an immediate opening for a postdoctoral research fellow in the area of membrane science and technology. The research will focus on the fabrication of responsive carbon nanotube (CNT)-based nanostructured membranes, scale-up, and characterization of their transport properties for protective/breathable clothing and gas/vapor separation applications. The ideal candidate is familiar with analytical techniques such as gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy, and in setting-up and operating gas permeation systems. The selected candidate will work with a dynamic interdisciplinary team of scientists and will report to the Biosecurity and Bionanosciences Group Leader.
Interested candidates should submit a CV, publication list, names and addresses of three references to Dr. Francesco Fornasiero (email@example.com).
For examples of LLNL recent research activities in this area, see the following publication:Bui N., Meshot E. R., Kim S., Peña J., Gibson P.W., Wu K. J., and Fornasiero F. "Ultra-breathable and protective membranes with sub-5 nm CNT pores," Adv. Mater, (2016) in print
NOTE: This is a two-year term appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of employment offer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIESConduct research in the field of nanoscale materials synthesis, nanocomposite and porous membrane fabrication and characterization.
Independently plan, design, execute and analyze experiments for the characterization of gas and liquid transport properties of nanostructured membranes.
Publish results in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Report and present scientific results at seminars, technical meetings, national and international conferences.
Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel and participate in collaborative efforts with other national laboratories and industry.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES Recent PhD in Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science and Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering or related field with emphasis in Membrane Science and Technology
Experience with membrane characterization for breathability and gas/vapor separation applications, including permeability and selectivity studies, pore size distribution determination, and imaging techniques (SEM, TEM)
Experience with nanocomposite membrane fabrication and surface modification/ functionalization, as well as assembly on porous supports/backing layers
Experience with phase-inversion or related techniques for porous support fabrication
Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze transport experiments and nanocomposite fabrication processes.
Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated capabilities in delivering presentations and preparing written reports.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES Experience with carbon-nanotube/polymer composite membrane fabrication.
Experience with vapor-phase polymer deposition techniques
Experience in synthetic chemistry and/or surface modification
Experience with fabrics design for protective clothing
Experience with experimental equipment design/development
Date posted: July 25, 2016
Cumulus Energy Storage
Cumulus Energy Storage Ltd: Cumulus is an early stage company developing a patented battery technology for grid-scale energy storage. Our product enables greater use of renewables and provides valuable technical services to the grid. There are many opportunities for advancement in this growing company.
Perform a variety of tests and methods meant to improve working knowledge of Cumulus battery systems. This will include electrochemical, mechanical, electrical, and analytical chemistry methods. In particular this position is focused on membrane separator of the cell. This is a hands on and fast paced position.
The ideal candidate will have direct industrial experience with battery and material testing techniques. This should include direct experience with ICP-OES, UV-Vis, FTIR, NMR, and advanced electrochemical testing methods, and basic chemical handling methods.
Beyond battery experience, a firm understanding of membrane synthesis, characterization, testing, and optimization is necessary. Advanced working knowledge of separation science with a focus on ionic exchange and membranes is necessary. Candidates from other membrane disciplines will also be considered on a case by case basis.
Specific battery testing knowledge of battery testing systems, cycle performance metrics, and results interpretation. In particular, knowledge of formulation adjustments and multiple battery chemistries would be highly preferred.
Key responsibilities:Characterize Proprietary Separator Technology
Perform Novel Membrane Synthesis
Optimize Cell Design According to Preferred Separator Technology
Develop Battery and Cell Testing Regimes to Advance Separator Knowledge Base
Assist with pilot cell battery assembly
Preferred Qualifications:Live within a 10 mile radius of Oakland, CA
Knowledge of Analytical Chemistry Techniques
Light IT knowledge
Skilled at Mechanical Assembly Tasks
Grant Writing Experience a major plus
3+ years direct industry experience with Graduate Degree, MS or PhD
Or equivalent experience will be considered
Benefits: Competitive Benefits Packages
Please Send Cover Letter and Resume in PDF Format
Cumulus Energy Storage
2220 Livingston St. Ste. 200
Oakland, CA 94606
Date posted: June 21, 2016
University of Minnesota
Postdoctoral Position in Membranes
A postdoctoral position is available in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geo-Engineering at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, to work in collaboration with Professor Santiago Romero-Vargas Castrillón (firstname.lastname@example.org, http://epclab.umn.edu/).
The successful candidate will work on a project that seeks to develop low-fouling membrane materials and processes for the removal of invasive microbial species from ballast water. The goal is to optimize the membrane surface chemistry and filtration module design. Duties will include membrane development and fabrication, lab-scale module design, and pilot plant design and testing.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. in chemical engineering, environmental engineering, materials science, or a related field. Experience with polymer films, membrane fabrication and characterization, and microbiology is a requirement. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required along with strong report and publication preparation skills. The initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of an additional year contingent upon satisfactory progress.
Please upload a complete CV, the contact information of at least 3 references, and a letter describing how your background and qualifications are related to the advertised position to http://tinyurl.com/zhnvvml. The position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Date posted: June 16, 2016
Oasys Water, Inc
Senior Research Engineer
Oasys Water seeks a motivated and disciplined Senior Manufacturing Engineer to join the team at our Boston, MA facility. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer has responsibility for the manufacturing and continuous improvement of our proprietary thin-film forward osmosis membrane. In this role the Senior Manufacturing Engineer will be instrumental in the development of novel membrane architectures for new applications. This role is based in Boston, MA but could possibly work some days in our Somerset, MA location, and will require significant (25-50%) travel to vendor and manufacturing partner sites, both domestic and international.
- Apply manufacturing and industrial engineering practices to our industry leading thin film manufacturing operation, including monitoring performance and yield
- Troubleshoot variability and yield issues in the manufacturing operation, interfacing closely with technology partners and the Oasys R&D organization
- Design and implement quality improvement programs in accordance with established industry best practices
- Lead the scale-up of new membrane technology and architecture from the laboratory to the manufacturing line
- Collaborate with the R&D and supply chain organizations to guide technology development and system optimization
- Provide strategic leadership and planning for a fast-growing and evolving manufacturing operation
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or similar
- 5-8 years of experience in manufacturing engineering
- Thin film and roll-to-roll manufacturing expertise, especially within the reverse osmosis membrane industry, is highly desired
- Expertise in Statistical Process Control and Six Sigma principles
- Preference given to candidates who possess basic competency in polymer chemistry and materials science
- Experience scaling up new technologies to full-scale manufacturing is desired
- Demonstrated project and program management skills, with experience leading matrixed and multidisciplinary teams
- Creative mind and ability to apply sound engineering principles to improve processes and solve complex manufacturing issues.
- Ability to positively and effectively communicate with all levels within the organization.
- 25-50% domestic and international travel
About Oasys Water
Oasys Water is a Massachusetts-based company developing a suite of proprietary energy and resource recovery products to address the growing global water crisis. Engineered OsmosisTM (EOTM) is a patented platform for reducing cost in the production of clean water, power and energy through more efficient utilization of resources. For information, please visit: www.oasyswater.com.
Date posted: May 5, 2016
Koch Membrane Systems
North American Director of Sales - Capital Equipment and Membranes - Water and Wastewater
Savvy sales leader needed to establish a high performance sales team, new sales channels and customers for the growing water market. The ideal candidate will have technical capability to understand how to mentor and grow a dynamic sales force, to be able to understand a customer's needs, and to recommend a solution using one of our state-of-the-art membrane filtration systems to solve their fluid separation problems. Must possess skills to identify business opportunity, present the client with solutions to their problems and close a sale. You must have experience developing high performance sales teams, new markets, defining product development needs and developing relationships. Ability to understand and mitigate commercial risks and provide appropriate product warranties.
- 10 plus years of experience in Sales and Engineering selling Capital Equipment and Replacement Products (membrane experience a plus).
- Strong engineering background, coupled with track record of ability to create new book of business.
- Experience developing sales teams that close business deals to profitably grow our business.
- Knowledge of how to sharply increase our sales closing success.
- Capability of developing relationships with key EPC and OEM firms.
- Proficiency in building a network of distributors and agents.
- Membrane filtration / separations capital equipment and replacement sales of membrane cartridges.
- Ability to travel up to 50%.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Master's Degree a plus.
- Work at our Corporate Headquarters offices in Wilmington, Massachusetts.
- BS Degree or higher (Engineering preferred), MBA a plus
- 10+ years of proven capital equipment or technical sales experience in the water and wastewater market
- Familiar with typical commercial terms & conditions and comfortable negotiating these as needed to protect KMS yet meet the customers' needs
- Knowledge of membranes, membrane systems or filtration capital equipment is a plus
- Ability to present competitive technical advantage in a clear and concise manner in individual and group settings
- Ability to analyze competitive situation then develop and implement strategy to win
- Proven ability to creatively, resourcefully, create value for customers to secure sales
- Superior negotiation skills
- Energetic deal maker and experienced closer
- Comfortable working in a dynamically and fast passed environment
- Must be very conscientious
- Extensive travel
- Exemplify company values/principals in all aspects internally as well as external
***Compensation will be commensurate with experience and capabilities***
***Relocation will be provided***
We follow OFCCP guidelines for internet applicant acceptance. Therefore, we can only accept resumes via our on-line application. Please follow the application directions and complete our on-line application set forth at www.kochmembrane.com/career.html. You must upload your resume AND complete the application if you want to be considered for this role. Search for job # 039892 or follow this link to our on-line application - you must copy and paste this link.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteranwww.kochmembrane.com
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test. Please be sure to upload your resume and complete our on-line application. You must complete our on-line application and upload your resume to be considered for this role.
Date posted: January 27, 2016